Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Favorite MMORPGs

Everyone has an MMORPG or two that they really love. Most people really like their first MMORPGs, I know I do. The first MMORPG I played was the original EverQuest game from Sony Online Entertainment back in 2000. I absolutely loved that game and felt really immersed in it. It’s actually the only MMORPG that I felt Immersed in. But that’s largely because it’s the first MMORPG I played and have a bias towards it. I think most people love their first MMOs. But there are a few MMORPGs out there that I can always go back to and enjoy.

One of the MMOs I can go back to and enjoy is MapelStory from Nexon. Yeah, I know what some of you are thinking, but MapleStory is easily one of the most popular free MMORPGs for a reason. It has so much content. The reason I can always go back to it and play it is because there are so many playable classes in the game. Since the Evan update, I think the game has 15 or so starting classes. Many more if you count all of the job advancements. So every time I go back to MapleStory, I just roll up a new character and try a new class. Plus the game has transformed itself from a grind based game to a quest based MMORPG over the years. It’s not nearly as “grindy” as it used to be when it launched. Another reason I love MapelStory is that Nexon does an awesome job keeping it up to date. Just look at Combat Arms, Vindictus and Mabinogi too – they’re some of the most in depth and constantly updated MMOs out there. Keeping a game regularly updated keeps users coming back for more.

Another free to play MMO that I really enjoy that I can go back to often is Alliance of Valiant Arms from ijji. Why? Because it offers something different than other tactical MMOs – real progression. Games like Sudden Attack from GameHi and Operation 7 from Netgame are fun for a while, but they get boring after a while because they don’t have any real progression. You can rank up in those games, but ranking up doesn’t really get you anything. Same with Wolfteam and Soldier Front. There’s no point to ranking up. Alliance of Valiant Arms on the other hand has a boat load of unlockable medals, achievements and skills. It’s one of the few MMO Shooters, aside from perhaps Battlefield Heroes, that has a skill system. Plus it’s not an MMORPG, so the game doesn’t take a huge time commitment.

Another free to play MMO that I can go back to for fun is Lost Saga from OGPlanet. In my opinion, it’s the best brawler MMO. It beats both Zone 4: Fight District, Rumble Fighter and GetAmped 2 because it has more variety. The game has some 15+ playable characters, each with their own distinct set of skills and abilities. I mean how awesome is that? Plus the anime inspired graphics are really well made, giving the game a unique look.

Anyway – What’s your favorite free MMORPGs? Perhaps that a poor way of wording it. What MMOs do you regularly go back to?

1 comment:

  1. I jump around with various mmorpg's nowadays when I have the time. The one that I am waiting for is Legend of Edda...

    I should say that my favorite of all time is ragnarok online or maple story xd.

    http://skybluerpg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete